Thursday, September 26, 2013

#4 (or 3.5): Divergent/Insurgent

This isn't really a fourth post, it's more 3 mark 2, as I fulfill the book quota that I didn't include last time. I fear, as I'm doing two books, this could get quite long.

Book: Divergent and Insurgent, both by Veronica Roth (2011 and 2012)
I will admit, my book taste feels a bit like a Young Adult bestseller list (or something that a 12 year old boy requests for Christmas due to my unhealthy obsession with Anthony Horowitz' books and lame fantasy adventure, even though I'm 21 and female).
I would be ashamed of that but I'm really not. Some Young Adult writers write beautiful pieces. It's cliche, I know, but I did genuinely adore John Green's 'The Fault in Our Stars' but also, I have real love for 'Boy Meets Boy' by David Levithan (who is a friend of John Green. Their novel 'Will Grayson, Will Grayson' is another classic with me) and if you've missed the internet phenomena that was Susan Ee's Angelfell, get ON THAT. (I intend to review this at a later date, if only to read it again..)
These authors have moved me. They've made me connect with characters, empathise with their situation or create a magical world for myself. Veronica Roth did not. Yes, I'm aware that is an unpopular opinion, but I'm not sorry.
I read Divergent because of the comparisons with Suzanne Collins' fantastic series, The Hunger Games (if you haven't heard of it/read it, get out from under your rock. Where have you been? Quick run down - the president of the US is still black, there is still war in the Middle East, the Hunger Games was the biggest phenomena to young adults since Twilight (I know that wasn't long ago, but we have a short attention span, keep up!) and Hannah Montana is now a natural blonde and naked more often than not.) but I have to say, that's an insult.
The stage is Chicago. A dystopic Chicago in fact, because currently a book cannot be published without a wee dash of dystopia (yes, 2010, it was vampires. We've moved up.. maybe). Everyone is separated in 'factions' based on their leading personality type and at the age of 16, teenagers are assessed and may, if needs be, leave their families and join a new faction. This is what happens to Beatrice Prior (pretentiously calling herself 'Tris' when she moves), the protagonist of our story. She moves to Dauntless, the foolhardy, idiotic bunch (yes, I think I'd be Candor. To the surprise of no one) and then SHIT GOES DOWN. That's really all I can say without spoiling it too much for you. Just know that things happen, people die, she falls in love (which is a bit out of place, but okay) and there are punches and knives thrown. I did say they were foolhardy.
In Divergent, Tris is alright. She's just alright. She's not a particularly strong protagonist and I find her extremely uninteresting. Her thoughtprocesses do not capture my attention and also, I find a lot of her choices unjustified and bizarre. Roth clearly bends Tris to fit the story rather than the story to envelope her character.
In Divergent, this is manageable. In fact, on the whole, Divergent is just that. Okay. It's an alright read if only because it's a good enough exposition. It sets up something that could be really awesome. Tris has some potential.
In Insurgent, she is unbearable. Tris is quite possibly the whiniest motherfudger to walk this Earth (tied with Bella Swan to be honest). Her choices are reckless, stupid and just.. oh god, slap the girl can you? It took me nearly a week and a half to finish the book because she just made me so infuriated. The whole world revolved around her and her inner crises. 'I have to deal with this HUGE CRAP all by myself because heaven forbid I tell anyone and make my life easier, moan, whine, moan.' Just, one steaming pile of no.
This happened in Mockingjay and I lost all respect for Katniss but with Katniss, there was a backstory. Hell, I'd be fucked up if I'd had to go through all of that TWICE. With Tris, she did one bad thing (okay, it was pretty awful) and something happens which is really, really crappy BUT THE WHOLE WORLD COLLAPSES AND EVERYTHING IS ABOUT HER AND OH MY GOD. I just. Pull your shit together, girl. We cannae be dealing with this nonsense.
Other issues with Insurgent include (but are not limited to): the constant moving (I got whiplash trying to keep up with the different places and people), the fact that Jeanne Matthews was actually a pretty weak villain really, the fact Four is actually a bit wet and to top it all off, I lost the train early on and just couldn't keep up, the political intrigue just isn't good enough to keep you intrested. Oh and the fact I really stopped caring.

tl;dr? The least exciting dystopic novel to fall in my lap, possibly ever. Bothered, I was not. Tris makes you want to punch walls. Or her. Avoid if you get easily irritated. Or if you like a well built character.
Divergent:★★★☆☆
Insurgent: ★★☆☆☆

Join me at tumblr and goodreads. Twitter on request. 
Follow me on bloglovin'


No comments:

Post a Comment